Saturday, March 26, 2011

Holiday Ornaments, Keepsakes from a Wedding Dress







My most recent wedding dress experiments are holiday ornaments, continuing in the same theme as the tree skirt and stocking. All but one resembles a lantern. The lanterns start off as a quilted rectangle of the dress fabric, batting, and cotton backing. I use free motion quilting to secure all the layers and add depth to the lantern’s surface. For further embellishment, I add bridal laces salvaged from collected nuptial gowns. I also include additional purchased trim like cording, fur, rickrack, fringe, and pompoms to widen the variety of texture. After all the embellishment is complete, the rectangle is stitched into a cylinder form and hanging loops are attached. The medallion ornament is a quilted circle draw up into a yoyo. Lace is placed at the center of each side and fur stitched to the circumference. The medallion is a striking tree decoration and was the simplest to make. What surprised me the most was the amount of hand sewing I incorporated into the project. The lantern facing, hanging straps, lace, beading, and some trim required hand work.

I like the idea of a lantern for a repurposed wedding dress because it reminds me of the biblical parable of virgins lighting lamps. A wedding dress is a symbol, ritual, and a turning point in a woman’s life. The cultural image symbolizes she is on the cusp of a new identity. A lantern is a useful tool to help one find their way in the dark. Connecting the wedding dress and a lantern symbol could be a meaningful image or memory of a life changing event. The image of light in the darkest time of the year is also significant and could be expanded upon.

I continue to get more ideas for what wedding dresses could be. At present I'm following my holiday theme. Soon to come, my next wedding dress project is a tree topper.

No comments:

Post a Comment